Friday, January 13, 2012

117: Movie Review: Whistleblower (2010)

Okay, I still have the Weisz-epidemic. I decided to watch as much as I can with some of her movies. This sudden intense fangirling has started since she had come. Can you really blame it? It's rather embarrassing how I totally spaz when she's concerned.

Inspired by true events, Kathy (Rachel Weisz) is an American police officer who takes a job working as a peacekeeper in post-war Bosnia. Her expectations of helping to rebuild a devastated country are dashed when she uncovers a dangerous reality of corruption, cover-up and intrigue amid a world of private contractors and multinational diplomatic double-talk. - IMDB

I really do not know what to expect here, though I know that the movie involves human trafficking. But the revelation in the movie really had surprised me.

So here we have Kathy Bolkovac who's very passionate of her work as a US Policewoman. Then an opportunity to work as a peacekeeper for UN in Bosnia arises. In need of a high paying salary due to circumstances, she had agreed to to take it. What she doesn't know is how much revelation she'll discover between the connection of human sex trafficking and the United Nations.

*spoiler* ~ Basically, some of the UN Peacekeepers are protectors of the bar that is in the business of human trafficking. They abduct the women who are the left alone due to the fact that their families/men have died in the Bosnian war. Then they were sold in the bars to work as prostitutes.

There were few disturbing scenes such as the torture scene. But what I find more disturbing is how these Peacekeepers are really monsters; and how the UN had kept a blind eye and seem to not care that their men are involve in such atrocity.



In regards to the acting, I couldn't admire Rachel Weisz more. She had justified her character here. She was three dimensional and have made Kathy Bolkovac true to life in the screen. As a viewer, I have felt the emotion felt by Kathy. I was sharing the same anger, frustration, and disbelief with the evilness of the people involved.

I am awe that this film was not as embraced as Erin Brockovich. I am surprised that this did not even touch the Academy Award considering how controversial, thought provoking, and flawless the movie is. I cannot help but think if probably there was some sort of sabotage to limit the publicity for this film.

But despite all that I applaud the cast and crew and Kathy Bolkovac for this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...