Wednesday, October 12, 2011

91: Because God brought her to me

How unlikely.

Earlier, while I was in the bus there was this distressed old lady who needs to go home to her hometown. She had traveled to our place to go to her daughter to tell that her father was dead but unfortunately she was not able to meet her because her daughter was forced out in her place. Now, the old lady does not know where she lived. She had traveled a few miles with a few money on pocket just to share to her daughter the sad news but her journey was put in vain.

She went through the municipality to ask where her daughter is but the people there told her that they don't know where she is already. I believed she asked for help but I think no helped was given to her. She wanted to get home because there's no longer a point to stay in our town.

Unfortunately, she was left with 15 pesos on her own pocket. She rode the bus despite her lack of money, I guess she was relaying to people's compassion. The bus controller didn't allow her to ride despite her begging. I was sitting on the same row with her but on another corner in the bus. I was not able to understand what they were talking about. I thought they were discussing about her senior citizen card but apparently they don't.

The bus was nearing Ayala station, where I would be dropped off. Since the seat next to me was available (my brother had just took off in Magallanes) the old lady sat beside me. When she sat next to me, she told me what happened. She told me she had no money to ride the bus and that she was only lent by the lady who sat in front of us. She told me she asked the lady she sat next to but was snubbed. I couldn't believe that the lady she sat next to was incredibly insensitive. Maybe she was being cautious of giving money but the lady was in serious need of help. If the old lady failed to pay she would be throne out of the bus. Good thing the lady who sat in front of us saved her by lending her an additional 40 pesos (Pacita - Ayala fare).

She asked me where Ayala was and if I'll be stopping there. I told her that I will. She asked me where El Shaddai was. I told her I don't know. Then she told me that she would like to see Mike Velarde (of El Shaddai) to ask for fare so she can go back to her home town.

My first thought was she was going to do something impossible. First, she wouldn't be allowed by Forbes Park body guard to pass through. Second, she has no idea where Mike Velarde lives. I was a little distracted as I tried to asses her situation, but she got my attention back when she ranted about people's insensitivity. She was fighting her tears when she was telling me how she felt. I was moved by compassion. It didn't sink all to me until I realized how serious her dilemma is.

I was a little reluctant, but the fact that if this old lady is not going to be helped by anyone, chances are she's going to be a street beggar. The moment she sat beside me and tell me her story, I knew that it came to me that I have to help her. I'm not a rich person. I'm not sure if I can help her but I have to know how much her fare is -- so I can help. I asked her how much she needed I was hoping she wouldn't say something more than a thousand but I am willing. Then she said her fare would cost her 380 pesos.

What a relief.

Without thinking twice, I told her to come with me because I have to withdraw a few cash. Her first concern was where will I bring her. I almost wanted to giggle because suddenly, I feel like a villain but I assured her that I am not taking her anywhere I just need to go to the nearest ATM machine.

When she knew that she was being rescued she couldn't help but be so grateful that she kept on saying that God had brought me to her. She also gave me a motherly peck on the cheek and patted my hair. She told me that she works in their church and then I knew that God had sent her to me. I knew God knew that I can help her and He knew that I would not turn my back to someone who needs me.

I have handed her the cash she needed and a meal from KFC and I gently told her not to lose the money she's holding because she might not get back home. She embraced me and I embraced her back. I have hailed her a bus to take her on the next stop and saw her settled there.

I don't know if she will get back to her hometown. She got to the bus going to Cubao around 7 PM. She told me that she would be travelling for 5 hours. Let's face it, she's travelling from Manila to Isabella at night. I couldn't help but worry until now. God only knows the evil lurking in this country. But I know that she will be safe. I know God will protect her with his wings.

I will never know if she got safe but I know God will.

“Thank You, Father, no evil shall befall me nor shall any plague come near my dwelling,” 
(Psalm 91:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...